Pharm (Sir) Christian Chukwuelozie Atuegwu was born on 25th December 1945 by Chief & Mrs. David Atuegwu of the Umuokafor Royal Family of Otolo-Nnewi, Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State.
His early education started at the CMS Central School, Onitsha, from where he entered the St. Augustine Grammar School, Nkwere. In 1965 he sat the West African School Certificate examinations and passed out in Grade 1.
The following year, 1966, he gained admission at the University of Nigeria (UNN) to study Chemistry. Then, there was no School of Pharmacy at the UNN. In 1967, the School of Pharmacy was created at UNN, and the young Chris was among the students to be enrolled in the faculty.
Unfortunately, the Nigerian Civil War interrupted his studies until 1970 when the war ended. Despite the hardship faced by the Igbo’s immediately after the civil war, yet it was possible for the enthusiastic Chris to travel to the United States of America where he was admitted into the Brooklyn College of Pharmacy of the Long Island University in New York. He graduated in 1975 with B.Sc Pharmacy in higher honours.
In a passionate display of his love for his fatherland, he returned to Nigeria in 1976 and did his internship at the Parklane General Hospial, Enugu.
Thereafter, the young Pharmacist Chris Chukwuelozie Atuegwu worked with Russel Nigeria Limited as a Pharmaceutical Area Manager (East). Soon, he remembered he hails from Nnewi, the only place in Nigeria that has consistently produced multidimensional industrialists, talented and indigenous manufacturers. Consequently, in 1980 he ventured into his own private business of legally importing pharmaceutical products into the country.
Two years later, he exhibited his professional resourcefulness by establishing MICHELLE LABORATORIES LIMITED, manufacturers of Cika brand of pharmaceutical products, based in Enugu, Enugu State, which he pilots as the Superintendent Pharmacist & Chairman/Managing Director.
In addition, he combines as the Chairman/CEO of the following companies:
- Ifelo Nigeria Limited (Consults & Project Management)
- Cika Pharmacy Limited.
- Cika-Fidel Nigeria Limited (Civil, Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Contractors).
- Cika Printing & Publishing Company Limited
Sir (Prince) Chris Atuegwu has expansive political appointments as well as Honours and Merit Awards, which include inter-alia :
- Chairman, Board of Management, National Eye Centre, Kaduna, (2000 – 2003), where his monumental accomplishments have remained unique
- Commissioner for Special Duties, Anambra State Government (2003 – 2006)
- Anambra State South Senatorial Zone ACN Candidate for 2007 and 2011 Elections, respectively
- Member of Igwe Orizi III Royal Cabinet, Nnewi, and Traditional Title Holder of Chinyelugo Nnewi
- Certificate of Honour: Nigerian Union of Journalists, Enugu State Branch (1996)
- Rotary Club of Enugu (1997)
- PSN Enugu State Branch (1997, 2001, and 2002)
- Doctorate Degree Award (Honoris Causa), Berkley University, Michigan, USA
In addition, Pharmacist Atuegwu sits on the board of many other companies both in Nigeria and overseas. He has been an active member of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria, Anambra/Enugu Branch, and at various times had served the Society as its Publicity Secretary and Vice Chairman.
Chris Atuegwu is a multi-faceted genius. He is a Chief by traditional investiture; a Doctor by academia degree award; a Knight by the Anglican Communion; a Prince by birth, and a Pharmacist by profession. He is married to Lady Pharmacist Ifeoma Atuegwu and they are blessed with educated, subservient and industrious children.